Few offenses are as serious as sex crimes. Your reputation and future will be at risk, making it essential to choose a leading defense team. Thomas & Paulk has proven results in sex crime defense counsel.
Sex Crime Charges Won't Go Away on Their Own
A sex crime is a criminal offense that is sexual in nature or involves an illegal sex act. While there is a vast array of horrible crimes a person can commit, none carry as damaging of a stigma as a sexual offense. When a person is charged with a sexual offense, they automatically get labeled a "sex offender" or "deviant." This is especially true in cases where the alleged victim is a minor (a person below the legal age of 18).
Penalties for Sexual Offenses in Florida
A sex crime conviction in Florida will result in harsh penalties that range from a short sentence in county jail to a lifetime in prison. A criminal defense lawyer can offer valuable advice on what to expect and what to do to avoid penalties. In the face of prejudice and a predisposition to assume guilt from jury members, law enforcement, and the media, an aggressive Tampa sex crime defense lawyer can still effectively defend their client's rights and help them avoid a conviction and thus the penalties associated with this.
Charged with a Sex Crime?
People charged with sex crimes can expect to have their lives turned upside down as they will be subjected to intrusive investigations and questioning by law enforcement. For this reason, it is always wise for a person to obtain counsel from a seasoned attorney.
At Thomas & Paulk, our founding attorneys are former prosecutors who understand exactly how both sides of sex crime proceedings work. With 40+ years of collective experience, our lawyers have what it takes to successfully challenge sex crime charges in Florida.
You Need a Tampa Sex Crime Defense Lawyer
Without an experienced lawyer, there is nothing standing between you and the maximum penalties for your offense. This may mean sex offender registration, years or even a lifetime in prison, fines, and more. Your freedom, rights, and future are at stake, so be sure you do everything you can to protect these things by working with a criminal lawyer quickly.
Protect your future. Get your free initial consultation today!
Since 2001, Thomas & Paulk has fought for the interests of clients in Tampa and across Florida in the face of criminal arrests, warrants, investigations, and charges. We are ready to put our experience to work for you as we defend your rights in the face of sex crime charges.
Florida Penalties for Sexual Offenses
Florida law harshly penalizes sex crimes, enforcing mandatory minimum sentences and requiring lifetime sex offender registration for most offenses. While every case is different, the following are the maximum penalties for sex-related crimes in Florida.
- 15 years in prison and $10,000 fine (against a person over 12, without violence/force)
- Life in prison (against a person over 12, with the threat/use of a deadly weapon)
- Life in prison or death (against a person under 12, causing injury to sexual organs)
- Up to 15 years in prison and $10,000 fine (depending on the age of the victim)
- Up to 15 years or life in prison (depending on the age of the victim)
- 5 years in prison (possession, per piece of material)
- 15 years in prison (production/distribution)
Prostitution / Solicitation:
- Up to 60 days in jail (first offense)
- Up to 1 year in jail (second offense)
- 5 years in state prison (third offense)
Lewd Conduct / Indecent Exposure:
- 5 to 15 years in prison (depending on the age of the victim)
The ultimate goal of our Tampa sex crime attorneys is to ensure our clients do not receive maximum penalties for their charges.
How an Attorney Can Help
You need a lawyer to give you honest, helpful counsel regarding your sex crime charges. From the onset, they will be able to advise you on what to and not do to help your case and begin building a defense. Even initial police questioning without a defense attorney present could significantly affect the outcome of your case. It is best to take as many preventative measures as possible by working with a lawyer as soon as possible.
Our Tampa firm can provide many key services to a person who has been charged with a sex crime in Florida.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Investigating the charges brought against the client
- Conducting an independent analysis of evidence
- Working with forensic, DNA, and psychological experts
- Locating and interviewing witnesses to corroborate the story
- Proving a sex crime accusation is false
- Developing a strong plan of action for the client's defense
- Keeping the client informed at every step of the case
- Negotiating with the prosecuting attorney to receive lessened charges
- Litigating the case in criminal court in front of a jury
- Appealing a sex crime conviction
People who are charged with sex crimes can expect to have their lives turned upside down as they will be subjected to intrusive investigations and questioning by law enforcement. For this reason, it is always wise for a person to obtain counsel from a skilled attorney.
Find out how Thomas & Paulk can help you by calling (813) 321-7323 today!
We personally handle your defense strategy.
Our lawyers have been helping people just like you defend their future for decades.View Results
We always put our clients' cases and needs first.
Read our reviews to see what it is like working with our Tampa criminal defense law firm.See Success Stories
We're ready to hear your side of the story.
Tell us what happened to you during a completely free and confidential consultation.Contact Us