Child Abuse Defense Attorneys
Defending Tampa, Florida Child Abuse Charges
Child abuse is the criminal act of causing physical, mental, sexual, or emotional damage to a minor (person below the legal age). Because the victims of child abuse cases are minors, the people who commit these offenses are usually subjected to immediate prosecution and enhanced legal penalties.
Tampa child abuse charges are serious. Someone facing these charges doesn’t just face the possibility of fines and jail time; they’re also facing the possibility of losing their children. If you’ve been accused of child abuse or child molestation, you need the help of Thomas & Paulk. As trusted Tampa child abuse defense lawyers, we understand how important this moment in your life is. If we take on your case, our team will listen to your side of events, research your case, and build a defense that pursues the best possible outcome for you and your child.
In Tampa, District Attorneys Mean Business
Like all violent crime cases, child abuse cases are always vigorously prosecuted by Florida law enforcement. District attorneys are eager to obtain convictions for child abuse offenses. Once a person is convicted of child abuse, they may have to spend time in jail or prison, pay fines, or be placed on probation. The legal penalties are very severe. For these reasons, you need to hire an experienced Tampa child abuse defense attorney.
Contact our Tampa child abuse defense lawyersat (813) 321-7323 for help with your case. Your initial consultation is private and completely free of charge.
Categories of Tampa Child Abuse Charges
Florida law defines child abuse as any willful act that causes a child to suffer physical, mental, or sexual harm. When someone is accused of child abuse, their criminal charges will depend upon their prior criminal history, if they have committed prior violent crimes, if the child sustained bodily injuries during the abuse, the extent of the child’s injuries, and the type of abuse that was allegedly committed.
There are three main categories of Florida child abuse charges:
- Child abuse occurs with the intentional infliction of physical or mental harm on a child.
- Aggravated child abuse occurs when a child is willfully tortured, severely punished, or abusively restrained, or action causes serious injuries, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement.
- Child neglect occurs when the person in charge of a child’s care fails to fulfill their duties. Neglect could include failure to provide medical care, clothes, food, shelter, or other life necessities.
Penalties for Child Abuse in Tampa, FL
Child abuse is categorized as a violent crime. A violent crime is a criminal act involving the threat or use of force/violence. In most violent crime cases, violence is used as a means to an end, meaning people use violence to obtain a specific outcome. In Florida, violent crimes are categorized as misdemeanors or felonies. However, all violent crimes involve harsh legal consequences.
Penalties for child abuse in Florida include the following:
- Child abuse: 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine
- Aggravated child abuse: 30 years in prison and a $10,00 fine
- Neglect: 5 years in prison and a $5,000 fine
- Neglect with injury, disability, or disfigurement: 15 years in prison and a $10,000 fine
Penalties for Child Molestation in Florida
The penalties for child sexual abuse in Florida will depend on several factors:
- If you are over the age of 18 and are charged with molestation of an individual under 12, you may face life felony charges, punishable by 25 years to life in prison.
- If you are over 18 and charged with molestation of a child between 12 and 16, you may face second-degree felony charges that carry up to 15 years in prison.
- If you are under 18 and are charged with molestation of a minor between 12 and 16, you may face third-degree felony penalties, which may include up to 5 years in prison.
A conviction could also mean that you also face lifetime sex offender registration.
You Don’t Have to Face These Charges Alone
At Thomas & Paulk, we know that everyone deserves a fair trial. Our mission is to make sure our clients receive one by fighting to protect their rights and pursuing the best outcome for their case. We’ve helped countless people throughout the Tampa area, and we’re ready to do the same for you. When your freedom and your relationship with your child are at risk, you can trust Thomas & Paulk.
Contact our firm at (813) 321-7323 if you would like a free and confidential case evaluation.
100% Free ConsultationWe'll hear what happened and explain your legal options to you.
Available 24/7No matter what time of day or night you need us, we're here for you.
7,000+ Criminal Cases HandledWe have a track record of success in helping people protect their rights.
Aggressive Defense StrategiesWe're not afraid to take on complex cases. We fight hard so you can win.
We personally handle your defense strategy.
Our lawyers have been helping people just like you defend their future for decades.View Results
We always put our clients' cases and needs first.
Read our reviews to see what it is like working with our Tampa criminal defense law firm.See Success Stories
We're ready to hear your side of the story.
Tell us what happened to you during a completely free and confidential consultation.Contact Us